Thursday, May 10, 2012

Unlocking the Potential

I'm always on the lookout for fabrics have a lot of possibilities. When I spotted the Greg Printed Rag Doubleknit on a recent trip to Las Vegas, I knew I had to have it. The more I examined it, the more images of future garments came into my head.

As a doubleknit it is stable, but with some give. It also has a lovely drape. I chose to sew it using the fast and easy eShrug from The Sewing Workshop Collection.

With the eShrug there are only the two shoulder seams and the sleeves/armholes to sew. I used my serger set up with two needles (four serger spools in all) creating seams with a bit of give. The same serger setup was used to finish the outside edges. The result is a beautiful, flat, professional edge. This basic pattern with simple construction showcases the fabric perfectly.

eShrug - Long Version
There are areas of the fabric where the threads appear shredded thus the "rag" or worn look. However, it is backed with knit and not overdone so it looks cool rather than grungy. If you happen to cut a seam that goes through the shredded area, the threads will fall loosely. I recommend sticking them down with a washable glue stick or a strip of Steam-a-Seam, so they are caught in the seam as it is sewn.












On close examination I noticed that the fabric is printed with silver. The content is 30% polyester and 70% cotton. This led me to wonder what would happen if I were to dye the fabric, knowing that only the unprinted cotton would pick up the colour. I quickly dyed some of the cutting room scraps using Scarlet Rit. The results were very promising.

Dyed with Scarlet Rit

I had cut myself some yardage for another garment and prewashed it, anticipating I would dye it after the Creativ Festival. On a recent trip to downtown Toronto, I stopped at G&S Dye to purchase some Procion dye in Turquoise. G&S Dye does mail order so if you don't live nearby, you can still order everything you need to dye fabric from them. Here is the result.

Dyed with Procion Turquoise
I haven't decided what I will sew with the Turquoise fabric as yet but it will likely be a swing jacket.

I completely sold out of this doubleknit at the Spring Creativ Festival. But the good news is that more is on its way. In fact I just ordered all that my supplier has left in stock, so once it is gone, it is gone. The shipment is expected to arrive mid-June. In the meantime you can pre-order from the Distinctive Sewing Supplies website.




No comments:

Post a Comment