Saturday, February 11, 2012

Sewing and Scrapbooking

My sewing group, Oakville Sewers Forum, is moving into its new home in the Fibre Arts Studio at Queen Elizabeth Park Community and Cultural Centre this month. The grand opening for the centre (QEPCCC) is March 24. To commemorate the opening each of the member groups of QEPCCC were given a shadow box to fill that will be on display to the public in the facility.

One of our members found a wonderful scrapbooking sheet of vintage pattern paper with red glitter for the background. Members of our sewing group were asked to create items to place in the shadow box that are representative of what we do.

For my contribution, I used the MyStyle Greetings pattern for a card making. The dress is cut from a vintage print fabric cotton. The red glitter tulle under skirt goes with the red glitter of the background. And I embellished the dress with some ribbon and a bow. To make the the MyStyle dress form card more vintage, I rubbed it with an umber ink pad.

I used my photopaint program to draw a window over a copyright-free landscape scene. I aged the picture and printed in colour. This was trimmed and glued to a piece of card. I then rubbed with the same umber ink pad to age it further. The window curtain was created with a rectangle of vintage cotton with ecru lace sewed to the edge. My curtain rod is a red coffee stir stick.

Lastly the tiny wooden spools came from a scrapbook store. I applied some glue to the spools and wrapped them with coloured threads and glued down the ends (or at least tried to).

This is a fun mixed media project. I can't wait to see what the other members have to contribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment