Thursday, December 8, 2011

Folkwear Tabi #129A - I've Got Happy Feet

 I wear thong style sandals all year long. Rockports are my favourites. I have been known to wear them outside well into the winter months. Some of my sandals are designated for inside footwear.

My furnace is set at the mid-sixties Fahrenheit to conserve energy and that can mean chilly toes--especially in my studio workroom which is a semi-basement.

Regular socks don't work unless I fiddle with the toe end and that stretches them out of shape. Those silly toe socks that come and go in fashion feel like I'm wearing pedicure toe spreaders.

My solution came in the form of a Folkwear pattern--#129A Japanese Tabi. The Tabi is a Japanese sock with a split between the big and second toe that is traditionally worn with Japanese sandals or zori.

I sewed my pair of Tabis in BareKnits Rib Knit for warmth and a bit of stretch. Instead of using hooks and eyes for the closure, I opted for Velcro. They turned out very well and I'm thinking I need another pair. Who says you can't wear socks with sandals?

No comments:

Post a Comment