Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I Love my Haka Cutting Table


Haka Model 400

My most recent sewing furniture purchase was a cutting table from Haka Sewing Furniture. This is a Canadian company based in Mississauga, Ontario, and operated by a very nice couple, Laurie and Pamela. They used to make kitchen cabinetry so they are very familiar with construction techniques and durability. They are also know a lot about the ergonomics of sewing.

My previous cutting table, whose manufacturer will remain unnamed (definitely not a Haka), was never perfectly flat always sloping from the middle even when it was brand new. It had an allen key for tightening the bolts which were forever coming loose. One of the plastic grips that were to hold the legs in place broke after one or two uses. It finally collapsed under the weight of a few bolts of fabric. Well, it was only a couple hundred dollars to buy so I didn't expect it to last forever. But I didn't expect to have so many problems with it during it's lifetime.

When the old cutting table gave out, I emailed Pamela right away and said I was coming in to purchase a cutting table from them. It's best to make an appointment as they may be out making deliveries. There is a showroom where you can see and try out the various models of furniture. With cutting tables, the proper height is critical to saving your back. At first I thought I would go with the tallest, but after speaking with Pamela about how I work, I realized that I should go with a lower cutting table. I use my rotary cutter a lot and if your table is too high, you won't have the leverage and reach required. The table comes in three standard heights but if you need it customized to your needs they can do that as well.

I also looked at the table top area and went with the largest since I am often cutting 152cm fabrics. And the final major choice is the drawers. I decided on the maximum number of drawers and the top drawer just under the middle of the table. The reason is that you can never have too much storage space and secondly, I am forever misplacing my rulers, cutters, scissors and pins. Now they are always in the easy to reach drawers saving a lot of time, but mostly my sanity.

Quality is the hallmark of Haka sewing furniture. They use state-of-the-art computerized equipment and top quality materials. If you are in the market for some new sewing furniture, I recommend you check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment