Saturday, December 11, 2010

Copyright and Doing the Right Thing

I love doing consumer sewing shows. As an online business, the shows are where I get to meet creative people face to face. It's also where I see people taking advantage of the independent designers who have worked hard to develop their own techniques and are making a living by sharing them with consumers who purchase their products.

This is a true story.

I usually do a trunk show at the fashion theatre where there are sample garments made from independent designer patterns and my fabrics. In order to educate the consumer about the patterns and help them make good choices, I describe the product for them.

At one show there was a person who approached our booth three times. Each time she asked to be shown the garments and have the techniques described in detail. The individual seemed to be struggling with the concepts, so each time we did our best to assist. After the third visit we said, all this information is in written out in detail in the pattern for your reference, with illustrations to guide you. The person said " But I'm not buying the pattern."

The sad thing is, it's not the first time it's happened to us. I always like to think the best of people, especially people who sew. Don't do this to vendors and designers. If you want to have the information badly enough to spend this much time getting it, just buy the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment