Thursday, October 7, 2010

Waisting away in Margeritaville with Pattie Otto

Pattie Otto
Pattie Otto is the owner of Great Copy patterns and delivered an excellent seminar on sewing elastic waistbands at the American Sewing Expo in Novi, MI. She was well organized and had samples of every type of elastic waistband to illustrate exactly what she was talking about.  The samples were passed around so we could see up close the details. She also had a handout but all the details are contained in her booklet for the sum of $8, which I purchased at her booth.

Not everyone is a fan of elastic waistbands and I wasn't either until menopause changed my figure significantly. Although I am of medium height, I have a short torso meaning my waist was never well defined. Now it is non-existent. Being tall enough to wear longish jackets, vests and tunics, the elastic waistband pant is perfect for me. Now I know which waistband technique to use depending on fabric and style.

I just finished the Perennial Pant by Kayla Kennington in a hand dyed rayon and used one of the casing techniques.  It's not perfect but it's pretty good.  Next time I have to remember to add more fabric when topstitching the crease at the top fold in the casing.

No comments:

Post a Comment