Sunday, October 17, 2010

Does that Fabric Wrinkle?

I rarely sell acrylics or poly fabrics simply because I don't like the feel of them. The initial touch might be soft but then there's that weird kind of squeaky texture that gives me the willies. I also find them too hot to wear.

Most of my fabrics are cotton, linen, silk, rayon, hemp, etc. Sometimes there's a poly blend or nylon if the quality is very high and passes the touch test. I don't carry fabrics that are treated to be stain resistant, or wrinkle resistant because that adds chemicals to the fibres which can be absorbed by the skin.

How much a fabric is going to wrinkle depends on the fibre content (linen wrinkles a lot, cotton not quite as much, rayon is better, poly not much at all, etc.) and the weave. All fabrics wrinkle to some extent.

I wonder then why people expect my fabrics not to wrinkle at all.  Even when I look at what they are wearing and their own garments have wrinkles at the elbows, knees and crotch. I've never worn anything that didn't wrinkle to some extent.

Here's my advice. Take a corner of the fabric in your hand and crush it.  That will give an indication of how much it will wrinkle or crease.  But if you want wrinkle free, you'll have to check out the polyester fabrics at the local mass merchandising fabric store.

No comments:

Post a Comment