Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Lesson Learned from Mother Teresa

I came across a story some time ago about a person who was travelling with Mother Teresa. I don't remember all the details but their flight was delayed and they had some rather urgent business to attend to. Rather than fretting as other passengers were doing, Mother Teresa pulled out a book and calmly began to read. When asked if she was disturbed by the delay with her busy schedule, Mother Teresa replied, "It is a gift." She explained that she rarely had any time to enjoy a book and now she would be able to. Since I read that story, I often try to look at delays and set-backs as opportunities.
I spend a lot of time planning garments to sew for upcoming shows. I keep a small notebook with me at all times to jot down thoughts that could strike at any time.  If I'm delayed by circumstances beyond my control (a signal problem on the GO train, the doctor or dentist running late, a delayed flight), I always feel better when I have my fashion sewing to focus on.  No longer do I a pace or fret.  These moments are like gifts and with my notebook and pen in hand, I use them well.

No comments:

Post a Comment